The Department of Nursing, Midwifery and Health is seeking to appoint a Lead External Examiner for their BSc (Hons) Midwifery Studies Programme and associated Return to Practice and Midwifery CPD provision. This covers the following modules:
MW0520 Provision of Universal Midwifery Care for Women and Families
MW0521 Continuity of Care: Leadership and Collaboration
MW0522 Additional Midwifery Care for Women and Families: Presentation and Management
MW0628 Overseas Nursing / Midwifery Practice Placement
MW0632 Appraising Universal Midwifery Care for Women and Families
MW0634 Proficient Midwifery Practice
MW0714 Preparation for the Role of Professional Midwifery Advocate
AC6736 Return to Practice Midwifery
AC7092 Preparation for the Role of Professional Midwifery Nursing Advocate
The Lead External Examiner will be responsible for contributing to the quality assurance of these programmes. You will be involved in the approval of assessment tasks, moderation of student work, completion of an annual report and may be invited to attend examination boards. You may be asked to provide comments on proposed modifications and the development of new modules. Further information about the external examiner role can be found at https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/university-services/academic-registry/quality-and-teaching-excellence/assessment/guidance-for-external-examiners/
Applicants should hold an appropriate NMC Midwifery Professional Registration and academic qualifications. It is preferable to have previous experience of external examining although support and guidance can be provided for those new to this role. Full course details and documentation will be provided to the appointee on appointment.
The appointment will take effect from 1st August 2023 and will be for a 4-year term until 31 December 2027. If you are interested in applying or to request further information, please send a CV (max 4 pages) covering the points below to the Lead Midwife for Education email@example.com
- Your contact details – postal address, telephone, email address for correspondence.
- Present post and employment history.
- Qualifications and professional memberships.
- External examiner experience within the past 5 years, including participation in recognised development programme/training.
- Teaching experience and responsibilities within the past 5 years, e.g., subject/modules taught, module tutor role.
- Quality assurance experience within the past 5 years: design/setting/internal moderation of assessments, Module Leader, Course/Programme Leader, approval/validation/review activity or panel membership (internal and external), collaborative/franchise partner activity, committee membership, any other quality assurance capacity.
- Research and related scholarly activity or professional/consultancy within the past 5 years.
- For degree / higher apprenticeship programmes – please ensure your relevant occupational experience and professional body registrations are evident.
- A covering paragraph outlining your suitability, to include indication of any association between yourself and the Northumbria Department. Maximum 500 words, to be incorporated and not as a separate document.