The University of Sunderland is seeking to appoint two external examiners for our Healthcare multi professional continuing professional development (CPD) provision, to start from October 1st, 2023.
The appointments will cover the following programmes and short courses (which can be used as part of an UG and PG award in professional practice. Our short courses (accredited UG and PG modules) are employer led for the annual portfolio can be subject to change.
- PG Diploma in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
- UG and PG specialist short courses to include a range of Primary Care Practitioner courses (diabetes, respiratory, coronary heart disease & heart failure, contraception), End of Life and Palliative care, clinical leadership and management.
Experience and qualifications needed:
- The ideal candidate will ideally be an experienced external examiner but those seek-ing a first position and have clinical and educational experience relevant to the subject areas and post registration education would be considered. All applicants must be at senior lecturer and above and have Masters level qualification/s.
Responsibilities of the role:
The appointment will be for four academic years. Duties include:
- Assuring the standards of our awards in comparison to the sector and relevant external reference points.
- Assuring the quality of the assessment process. This includes moderation of assessment briefs, moderation of marked work (including feedback to the module leader prior to the Assessment Board) and attendance at the annual programme assessment board.
- Providing comment on course content, balance and structure and on modes of teaching, learning and assessment, to support ongoing development of the curriculum.
- Ensuring equivalency of awards for collaborative provision where applicable.
- External examiners are also required to provide an annual report following the Programme Assessment Board.
For full details on the External Examiner role at University of Sunderland (including core roles and information on conflicts of interest) please see here. Note that you will be required to attend an external examiner induction event.
To apply, please supply:
- A statement of how you meet the criteria and any preference of awards/short courses based on your experience.
- Your CV
Please send these by email to Karen Giles, Associate Head of the School of Nursing & Health Sciences (CPD & International Nursing) at firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd August 2023.
You will receive an acknowledgement of your email and can expect an initial decision on whether you have been nominated by the School of Nursing & Health Sciences. However, please note that appointment is subject to approval by the University’s Academic Development and Quality Sub Committee and we will require further details from you to submit the nomination.
Right to work in the UK
Please note that a statutory check for right to work in the UK will be carried out prior to appointment.