The Department of Nursing, Midwifery and Health is seeking to appoint a Lead External Examiner for the Higher Apprenticeship in Specialist Practice District Nursing (SPDN) with MSc Option Programme. The post holder will be the Lead Examiner for the programme. This covers the following modules and will also include involvement in end point assessment (this will be clarified with the successful applicant):
HA7000 Research and Evidence for Contemporary Practice
HA7005 Advanced Clinical Assessment Skills
HA7003 Leading and Advancing Specialist Practice
HA7004 Specialist Practice Dissertation
AC6735 Return to Practice (for community district nursing)
Please note that module AC7066 Non-Medical Prescribing (V300) is also part of this programme. We are currently recruiting for a specialist prescribing examiner who will look at all of our prescribing modules. This will include this module, which will not be part of the programme examiner’s remit.
The Lead External Examiner will be responsible for contributing to the quality assurance of these programmes. You will be involved in the approval of assessment tasks, moderation of student work, completion of an annual report and may be invited to attend examination boards. You may be asked to provide comments on proposed modifications and the development of new modules. Further information about the external examiner role can be found at https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/university-services/academic-registry/quality-and-teaching-excellence/assessment/guidance-for-external-examiners/
Applicants should hold appropriate NMC professional registration and Specialist Practitioner in District Nursing Qualification (SPQ) & V300 Prescribing qualification and academic qualifications. It is preferable to have previous experience of external examining although support and guidance can be provided for those new to this role. Full course details and documentation will be provided to the appointee on appointment.
The appointment will take effect from 1 August 2022 and will be for a 4-year term until 31 December 2026. If you are interested in applying or to request further information, please send a CV (max 4 pages) covering the points below to Kevin Murphy.
- Your contact details – postal address, telephone, email address for correspondence.
- Present post and employment history.
- Qualifications and professional memberships.
- External examiner experience within the past 5 years, including participation in recognised development programme/training.
- Teaching experience and responsibilities within the past 5 years, e.g., subject/modules taught, module tutor role.
- Quality assurance experience within the past 5 years: design/setting/internal moderation of assessments, Module Leader, Course/Programme Leader, approval/validation/review activity or panel membership (internal and external), collaborative/franchise partner activity, committee membership, any other quality assurance capacity.
- Research and related scholarly activity or professional/consultancy within the past 5 years.
- For degree / higher apprenticeship programmes – please ensure your relevant occupational experience and professional body registrations are evident.
- A covering paragraph outlining your suitability, to include indication of any association between yourself and the Northumbria Department. Maximum 500 words, to be incorporated and not as a separate document.