The Department of Nursing, Midwifery and Health is seeking to appoint an External Examiner for the Nursing and Midwifery Council Competence Test Centre (NMC-CTC).
The External Examiner will be responsible for contributing to the quality assurance of these programmes. You will be involved in the moderation of candidate Observed Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE), completion of an annual report and contribute to NMC and partner reporting.
The role of the External Examiner in NMC-CTC external examining process involves undertaking the following activities:
- Review examination scenarios and stations set by partner organisations that contribute to the Test of Competence OSCEs;
- Moderate samples of assessed work including fails, as agreed with the NMC-CTC team;
• Comment on the marking standards of examiners;
- Familiarise yourself with the University’s and the NMC and their partner policies (to be supplied on appointment) in relation to the NMC Test of Competence and ensure that the assessment process is conducted in accordance with them;
- Complete an annual report to the University’s required format providing comments on the standards of marking and other aspects of the OSCE provision to act on during the following year;
- Attend an annual reporting event in conjunction with other members of the NMC and partners involved in the development and delivery of the OSCE Competence Test;
- Provide comments on planned modifications to the provision and potential opportunities to enhance the quality of the Test of Competence OSCE.
Fees – £1000 per academic year, on receipt of annual report.
Applicants should hold appropriate professional registration and academic qualifications. It is preferable to have previous experience of external examining although support and guidance can be provided for those new to this role. Full course details and documentation will be provided to the appointee on appointment.
The appointment will take effect from 1 June 2022 and will be for an initial 3 year term, with a potential 2 year extension. If you are interested in applying or to request further information, please send a CV (max 4 pages) covering the points below to Norman Franklin, Head of NMC Competence Test Centre email@example.com
- Your contact details – postal address, telephone, email address for correspondence;
- Present post and employment history;
- Qualifications and professional memberships – NMC registered;
- Assessment experience in the last 5 years, eg OSCE examinations;
- External examiner experience within the past 5 years, including participation in recognised development programme/training;
- Teaching experience and responsibilities within the past 5 years, eg subject/modules taught, module tutor role;
- Quality assurance experience within the past 5 years: design/setting/internal moderation of assessments, Module Leader, Course/Programme Leader, approval/validation/review activity or panel membership (internal and external), collaborative/franchise partner activity, committee membership, any other quality assurance capacity;
- Research and related scholarly activity or professional/consultancy within the past 5 years;
- A covering paragraph outlining your suitability, to include indication of any association between yourself and the Northumbria Department. Maximum 500 words, to be incorporated and not as a separate document.
The closing date is 13 May 2022.