The Department of Nursing, Midwifery and Health is seeking to appoint an External Examiner for the BSc (Hons)/MSc Health and Social Practice Continuing Professional Development Framework: Cancer and Palliative Care. The post holder will be the Non-Lead Examiner for the programme and will moderate the following modules:
AC0786 Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Long Term Conditions
AC6662 Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Long Term Conditions
AC6715 Haematology and Principles of Stem Cell Transplantation
AC6725 End of Life Care for All
AC6726 Managing Pain and Symptoms in Advanced Disease
AC6727 Foundations of Cancer Care
AC6733 Chemotherapy Enhancing Practice
AC6755 Genomics, Pathology and Complexities of Care
AC7076 Managing Pain and Symptoms in Advanced Disease
AC7100 Genomics, Pathology and Complexities of Care
Further information about the external examiner role can be found at https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/university-services/academic-registry/quality-and-teaching-excellence/assessment/guidance-for-external-examiners/. The appointment will be for four academic years from 1 August 2024.
As external examiner you will be responsible for contributing to the quality assurance of the programme. You will be involved in approving assessment tasks, moderating student work, completion of an annual report and may be invited to attend examination boards. You may be asked to provide comments on proposed modifications and the development of new modules.
Applicants should hold appropriate professional registration and academic qualifications. It is preferable to have previous experience as external examiner/assessor although support and guidance can be provided for those new to the role. Full course details and documentation will be provided on appointment.
If you are interested in applying or to request further information, please send a CV (max 4 pages) covering the points below to Dr Maggie Coates firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: Your contact details – postal address, telephone, email address for correspondence.
- Present post and employment history.
- Qualifications and professional memberships.
- External examiner/assessor experience within the past 5 years, including participation in recognised development programme/training.
- Teaching experience and responsibilities within the past 5 years, e.g. subject/modules taught, module tutor role.
- Quality assurance experience within the past 5 years: design/setting/internal moderation of assessments, Module Leader, Course/Programme Leader, approval/validation/review activity or panel membership (internal and external), collaborative/franchise partner activity, committee membership, any other quality assurance capacity.
- Research and related scholarly activity or professional/consultancy within the past 5 years.
- For degree / higher apprenticeship programmes – please ensure your relevant occupational experience and professional body registrations are evident.
- A covering paragraph outlining your suitability, to include indication of any association between yourself and the Northumbria Department. Maximum 500 words, to be incorporated and not as a separate document.