The University of Sunderland is seeking to appoint two external examiners for our BSc Nursing Top Up programmes, to start from 1st November 2023. Subject to availability there is scope to start earlier.
The appointment will cover the following programmes:
BSc (Hons) Nursing Top Up
BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies Top Up
The BSc (Hons) Nursing Top Up programmes are designed to be an academic top up for level 1 NMC Registered nurses who are seeking to become a graduate nurse, or Internationally Educated Nurses who have a licence to practice in their country of qualification as a Qualified Nurse and looking to become a graduate nurse.
The BSc (Hons) Nursing Top Up programme is delivered at the University of Sunderland (on campus), the University of Sunderland (in London) and as part of Trans-national Education (TNE) partner agreements with the International College of Business and Technology (ICBT) Sri Lanka. The programme runs twice a year for the on campus and London deliveries and three times a year for TNE (ICBT).
The BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies Top Up is delivered as an asynchronous Online programme via Sunderland Online. This is delivered as a rolling ‘carousel’ with 6 intakes a year.
Experience and qualifications needed
The ideal candidate will preferably be an experienced external examiner but those seeking a first position and have clinical and educational experience relevant to the subject area and post registration education would be considered. All applicants must be Senior Lecturer or above and have Masters level qualification/s.
Responsibilities of the role
The appointment will be for four academic years. Duties include:
- Assuring the standards of our awards in comparison to the sector and relevant external reference points.
- Assuring the quality of the assessment process. This includes moderation of assessment briefs, moderation of marked work (including feedback to the module leader prior to the Assessment Board) and attendance at the annual programme assessment board.
- Providing comment on course content, balance and structure and on modes of teaching, learning and assessment, to support ongoing development of the curriculum.
- Ensuring equivalency of awards for collaborative provision where applicable.
- External examiners are also required to provide an annual report following the Programme Assessment Board.
For full details on the External Examiner role at University of Sunderland (including core roles and information on conflicts of interest) please see here. Note that you will be required to attend an external examiner induction event.
To apply, please supply:
• A statement of how you meet the criteria based on your experience
• Programme preference
• Your CV
Please send these by email to Karen Giles, Associate Head of the School of Nursing & Health Sciences (CPD & International Nursing) at firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 September 2023.
You will receive an acknowledgement of your email and can expect an initial decision on whether you have been nominated by the School of Nursing & Health Sciences. However, please note that appointment is subject to approval by the University’s Academic Development and Quality Sub Committee and we will require further details from you to submit the nomination.
Right to work in the UK
Please note that a statutory check for right to work in the UK will be carried out prior to appointment.