The School of Nursing at Ulster University is seeking to appoint an External Examiner for the Nursing and Midwifery Council Competence Test Centre (NMC-CTC).
The External Examiner will be responsible for contributing to the quality assurance of NMC Test of Competence, including aligned academic credits, reviewing OSCE assessments, completion of an annual report and contribute to NMC and partner reporting.
The role of the External Examiner in NMC-CTC external examining process involves undertaking the following activities:
- Review examination scenarios and stations set by partner organisations that contribute to the Test of Competence OSCEs;
- Reviewing samples of assessed work, commenting on the marking standards of examiners;
- Being familiar with the University’s and the NMC and their partner policies (to be supplied on appointment) in relation to the NMC Test of Competence and ensure that the assessment process is conducted in accordance with them;
- Complete an annual report to the University’s required format providing comments on the standards of marking and other aspects of the OSCE provision to act on during the following year;
- Attend examination boards and other relevant meetings as required in relation to quality assurance, including in partnership with the NMC quality assurance partner;
- Provide comments on planned modifications to the provision and potential opportunities to enhance the quality of the Test of Competence OSCE.
Fees – £1000 per academic year, on receipt of annual report. Applicants should hold appropriate professional registration and academic qualifications. It is preferable to have previous experience in the design and delivery of OSCEs and of external examining although support and guidance can be provided for those new to this role.
The appointment will be for 4 years with a potential 1 year extension, commencing September 2022. If you are interested in applying or to request further information, please send a CV (max 4 pages) covering the points below to Nicola Gormley, Acting Manager, NMC Competence Test Centre, email@example.com:
Qualifications and professional memberships – NMC registered;
- Assessment experience in the last 5 years, e.g. OSCE examinations;
- External examiner experience within the past 5 years, is preferred including participation in recognised development programme/training;
- Teaching experience and responsibilities within the past 5 years, e.g. subject/modules taught, module tutor role;
- Quality assurance experience within the past 5 years: design/setting/internal moderation of assessments, Module Leader, Course/Programme Leader, approval/validation/review activity or panel membership (internal and external), collaborative/franchise partner activity, committee membership, any other quality assurance capacity;
- Research and related scholarly activity or professional/consultancy within the past 5 years;
- A covering paragraph outlining your suitability, to include indication of any association between yourself and the Ulster University School of Nursing.