This is an exciting time in ultrasound education at Birmingham City University. We are at the forefront of ultrasound education and are dedicated to providing our students with the very best learning, teaching and support to help them develop both professionally and personally as sonographers, as well as teaching other professionals in their sonographic skills. Due to development of our provision and with the support of funding from Health Education England, we offer these great opportunities for you to join our fantastic team.
We want our students to enjoy their learning and their time with us – and you will be part of the team to make that happen by supporting the learning and skill development of sonographers both in the University and in the clinical setting. In working with us you will take responsibility for and play an active role in the delivery of learning and teaching within our undergraduate and postgraduate ultrasound courses, as well as assessing students. You will be involved in the teaching of other professionals requiring our ultrasound expertise, and further developing the ultrasound knowledge base and skill set of the radiographer and non-radiographer professionals we educate.
For all posts you will:
- Be a sonographer, with a wide range of clinical and patient experience
- Have recent clinical experience in a busy hospital ultrasound department,
- Hold relevant ultrasound qualification(s),
- Have experience of teaching and supporting learners in a clinical and/or university setting,
- Have excellent communication skills and
- Be passionate about ultrasound education and the future of the profession.
- Post 1 – Senior Lecturer in Medical Ultrasound
For this post and in addition to the above, you will:
- Have a wide range of clinical experience in obstetric ultrasound,
- Experience in other areas of ultrasound practice is desirable but not essential.
- This role includes the opportunity to support students through classroom (face-to-face and virtual) based teaching, in groups and as individuals to help them develop into excellent sonographers as well as supporting the student learning of skills within our ultrasound suite.
Posts 2 and 3 – Senior Lecturer / Practice Educator in Medical Ultrasound
For these posts and in addition to the above you will:
- Have experience in at least one area of ultrasound practice as an individual. Across all the posts being appointed into, we are looking for experience in obstetric, gynaecological and abdominal ultrasound
- Have experience in leading developments or projects within ultrasound
- You will be supporting students in the university and the clinical setting from a range of ultrasound courses, including our direct entry BSc Hons Medical Ultrasound course, our post-graduate ultrasound qualifications and Focussed courses and will be teaching other professionals who want to know more about ultrasound and how to scan. These roles also include taking responsibility for the development and establishment of our intended patient facing facility.
You will be expected to spend time supporting students in their clinical departments, as well as supporting students learning skills within our ultrasound suite. You will also deliver some classroom (face-to-face and virtual) based teaching to help them develop into excellent sonographers.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Helen White, Head of Department at Helen.White@bcu.ac.uk.