The Open University has been offering a pre-registration nursing programme since 2002. In March 2020 we sought and were successful in gaining approval to offer a new programme against the Future Nurse (NMC, 2018) standards and covering for the first time, all four fields of nursing practice. We are therefore, seeking to appoint Practice Tutors who will additionally fulfil the NMC (2018) of Academic Assessor.
Practice Tutors support in the readiness of practice supervisors and practice assessors so that students can apply their learning in practice and develop professionally in their fields of practice. In addition, Practice Tutors ensure that arrangements are in place to ensure that practice learning is robust, fair and can provide suitable learning opportunities for supporting the development of students. In many instances, the role encompasses what is best from link lecturers and personal tutors’ roles in other universities.
Although COVID-19 has placed restrictions around ways of working, ordinarily you will:
- Support groups of 5 students
- Visit students in practice normally on three occasions during a module (initial, mid-point, end) to provide support to students, Practice Supervisors/Practice Assessors
- Contribute to the student’s assessment in practice as described in the NMC. 2018 standards and make recommendations to the programme on student progression
- Support the review of ongoing quality assurance of the learning environments
- Be a core link between the student’s workplace organisation and The Open University
This is an exciting opportunity to work with pre-registration nursing students commencing study with The Open University from October 2020. With practice learning so critical to student’s overall achievement, you can really make a difference to students by supporting them in this way. We look forward to receiving your application.
Successful candidates will have relevant experience of working in practice at a senior level, a relevant degree level qualification, together with experience of teaching in the workplace. Ideally we are looking for applicants to hold a teaching qualification but would be prepared to support successful candidates apply for HEA accreditation at the level of ‘Fellowship’ if necessary.
For detailed information and to apply online go to: https://www.open.ac.uk/jobs/tutors/vacancies
The person specification can be found against the module code: XK104.
Closing date for applications: Thursday 22nd July 2021 – noon