School of Health & Life Sciences
Head of Division (Biological Sciences and Health) – REQ002151
SS1: £68,892 – £77,139 per annum
THE POST – Head of Division (Biological Sciences and Health)
As Head of Division, you will be key to the successful delivery of the school’s contribution to the ambitions and priorities identified in the university strategy.
In this crucial senior management role, you will provide strong, dynamic and inspirational leadership and management within the division. With responsibility for academic activity and quality in teaching, research, subject development, knowledge exchange and internationalisation at divisional level, you will contribute to achieving the school’s plan, through the delivery of an innovative portfolio of industry-led/research-informed programmes, offering an outstanding student experience, excellent teaching, and delivery of impactful, high-quality, leading-edge research, knowledge exchange, consultancy, CPD, and other innovation activities.
You will oversee the allocation and management of workload and resource planning, developing and reviewing the performance of academic staff. You will uphold the values of Athena SWAN and undertake responsibilities and duties as agreed with the Deputy Dean of the School.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Doctoral level qualification
- Degree in discipline relevant to the division/school
- Higher Education Fellowship
- Significant experience of contemporary learning, teaching and assessment within Higher Education, with a commitment to delivering high quality teaching to support an outstanding student experience.
- Experience and knowledge of quality assurance and quality enhancement systems, with an inclusive curriculum development approach that demonstrates equality as well as sharing of good practice
- Be able to demonstrate experience in successfully managing people and process either in a line or staff management capacity
- Heightened skills in effective planning, organising and problem solving with excellent liaison, networking, influencing and communication skills.
- Appropriate evidence of external engagement which is clearly in line with the School’s priority areas for the future (e.g. external engagement in terms of research, or knowledge exchange, or engagement with professional bodies or other external organisations)
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.