The College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare is seeking to appoint a range of external examiners for our pre-registration Nursing and Healthcare Courses.
- Foundation Degree Science in Healthcare Practice (Assistant Practitioner) – 1 post.
- PGDip – Adult nursing – 1 post.
- BNursing/MSci Nursing – 3 posts for Adult nursing.
For the pre-registration nursing and Foundation degree posts, the students are taught in the main in mixed-field groups, although some sessions particularly in simulation are field-specific and the field-specific element increases year on year. Some assignments are field-specific, where others are not.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced lecturers in nursing. All appointments are subject to the candidate meeting the University’s criteria for appointment. Tenure will normally be for a period of four years.
There are intakes across the two campuses (Brentford and Reading). The assessment boards are all held on our Brentford campus (or using Microsoft Teams meetings). You will be joining a team of external examiners.
As an External Examiner you will be expected to:
- Have current registration with the NMC
- Be employed in Higher Education
- Scrutinize samples of examination/essay scripts and other assessed materials, advising module assessment boards on the content and standard of assessments.
- Attend a minimum of 2 assessment boards a year.
- Attend the annual Field Reviews.
- Undertake an annual visit to practice, to meet with students and mentors.
- Review new modules in preparation for validation events.
- Advise on academic misconduct and appeal cases.
- Submit an annual report to the University Quality Boards.
If you have not been an external examiner before, a mentor would be appointed for you. You would be part of a team of external examiners for the pre-registration nursing courses here at the University. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. If you are interested in the above posts please send your expressions of interest by June 20th 2021, together with a full CV, in the first instance to:
Dr Claire Anderson
College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare
University of West London