The School of Health & Social Care at the University of Essex is seeking to appoint an external examiner for the taught elements of our Professional Doctorate programmes. These are:
- HS900 Research Design and Critical Appraisal
- HS908 Data Collection, Analysis and Interpretation
- HS927 Statistical Analysis
- HS947 Theory and Method in Health Research
- HS948 Qualitative Health Research
- HS982 Dissertation
- HS994 Professional Portfolio 2
- HS995 Professional Portfolio 1
- HS996 Extended Professional Portfolio
The Professional Doctorate provides an opportunity for senior practitioners in health and social care environments to undertake primarily independent study at doctoral level. The award is distinct from the traditional PhD in that practice is incorporated as a fundamental aspect of study. Like the traditional PhD, the programme provides a framework for students to pursue independent studies with support and supervision.
The guiding principles of the Professional Doctorate programmes are that students:
- Demonstrate expert decision making
- Engage in critical reflection upon their own practice and the practice of others
- Work within complex, multi professional environments
- Provide visible leadership
- Make significant contribution to local and national health and social care provision
- Develop networks to facilitate self-development
We would like to appoint an External Examiner who can enhance the quality of teaching and learning within the School and who is experienced in delivering health or social care professions’ education. Whilst applications from experienced External Examiners are preferred, anyone with appropriate educational and professional experience would be considered.
The appointment will be for four years from November 2022 and the commitment required is as follows:
- To attend two examination Boards per year.
- To submit the annual External Examiner’s Report and c comment on the content of the subject area particularly regarding subject benchmarks.
- To review coursework throughout the year and provide comments to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other HEIs
- Provide informative comment and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the course/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations
- Engage with the programme team in the continuous development of the programmes
For informal inquires please contact Mary Kennedy – firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be accompanied by a C.V. to email@example.com by Monday 14 November 2022.
Further information is available on our website: https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/health-and-social-care