External Examiner – Post Graduate Certificate in Person Centred Dementia Studies
The Association for Dementia Studies at the University of Worcester is seeking to appoint an External Examiner for our fully online Post Graduate Certificate in Dementia Studies. The External Examiner will be responsible for contributing to the quality assurance of the online course.
- Person-Centred Leadership: the VIPS Approach
- Expert Practice in Delivering Person Centred Dementia Care (Also offered as a separate Post Graduate Award)
- Supporting People Living with Advanced Dementia
- Enabling Environments for People Living with Dementia
- Engagement and Empowerment in Dementia Studies
- Dementia in the Family Context
The appointment starts from September 2023 with an opportunity to work alongside the existing external examiner for the course until December 2023. The tenure is for 4 academic years.
Previous external examining experience is preferred, not necessarily essential. Applicants should:
1. have experience of provision of dementia education (at post graduate level) and/or clinical experience with relevance to a number of the specified areas above.
2. be educated to at least post graduate level.
3. hold recent external examining, or at least two years internal examining experience to demonstrate competence in assessing students in the subject area.
This is an online course and so we are particularly interested in hearing from candidates who hold experience in online course design, delivery and/ or development.
A fee would be payable to the post holder in line with sector norms as well as reasonable expenses, subject to standard HMRC regulations.
If you are interested in this role please contact Course Leader Dr Chris Russell at
In your email please detail the reasons you would like to be considered for the role and your experience in relation to the matters set out above. Please also include the most recent copy of your CV.
Applicants should be a member of academic staff at a UK higher education provider, but recently retired individuals are eligible for the role provided that they can provide evidence of continuing involvement in the subject area. Applicants with significant relevant clinical experience will also be considered, but evidence of involvement in academic activity (as set out above) will be an advantage. External examiners should not have previous close involvement with the University which might compromise objectivity.
All external examiners must be fluent in the English language and be able to evidence eligibility to work in the UK. Please note that all appointments are subject to verification of eligibility to work in the UK, as per UK Visas and Immigration requirements.
CLOSING DATE: 1ST AUGUST 2023