The School of Health & Social Care at the University of Essex is seeking to appoint an external examiner for our Integrated Master of Science (MSci) in Nursing programme. This programme is designed to develop students’ knowledge and skills in two different fields of nursing, Adult and Mental health and is underpinned by philosophies and theories of social justice and reflects the “Future Nurse” standards. Students will spend the first 3 years studying their chosen field of nursing with the option to transfer to the MSci towards the end of the 3rd year. During the 4th year and final year, learning is focussed on the alternate field of nursing to prepare them to manage the care of patients with more complex physical and mental health care needs, across a range of health care settings. As this is a newly accredited programme, we will be looking to continuously review and improve the delivery of the programme to ensure quality enhancement and we will be keen to hear from applicants who is able to contribute to this process. We appreciate that applicants may have previous experience, and some may not, therefore we are open to developing candidates into the role.
The modules that we are seeking to examine are:
- MSci in Nursing Programme
- HS196 (Advanced Person-Centred Care- Adult Nursing)
- HS 228 (Advanced Person-Centred Care- Mental Health Nursing)
- HS198 (The Critical Practitioner – Adult Nursing)
- HS 241 (The Critical Practitioner- Mental Health Nursing)
- HS 717 (Research Activity)
We would like to appoint an External Examiner who can enhance the quality of teaching and learning within the school and who is experienced in delivering health or social care professions’ education. We are particularly interested in Nurse Academics who are dual registered, although we welcome applications from colleagues with either an Adult or Mental Health Nursing qualification.
The appointment will be for four years from October 2023 and the commitment required is as follows:
- To attend one examination board per year and this is currently held via Zoom
- To submit the annual External Examiner’s Report and comment on the content of the subject area particularly regarding subject benchmarks.
- To review coursework throughout the year and provide comments to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other HEIs
- Provide informative comments and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the course/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations
- Engage with the programme team in the continuous development of the programmes
For informal inquires please contact the MSci Programme Lead Christine Daley-Fennell email@example.com
Applications should be accompanied by a C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th August 2023
Further information is available on our website: https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/health-and-social-care