The School of Health & Social Care at the University of Essex is seeking to appoint an external examiner for our MSc Speech and Language Therapy programme. This post will become available in January 2023 and we are looking for a candidate to begin this role when the post is vacated.
The programme is a two-year pre-registration course and sits alongside our established BSc Speech and Language Therapy course and the provision of an SLT Apprenticeship pathway. The course is structured largely around a split between foundational, developmental and paediatric topics in year one, and acquired and adult topics in year two.
The modules which require External Examiner input are below:
MSc Speech and Language Therapy:
- HS830: Speech and Language Therapy Foundation Studies 1
- HS831: Paediatrics 1
- HS832: Paediatrics 2
- HS833: Paediatrics 3
- HS834: Paediatrics 4
- HS858: Using Evidence Base in Health Care Practice
- HS790: Interprofessional Collaboration and Development
- HS835: Foundation Studies 2 – Pathology for Speech and Language Therapy
- HS836: Adults 1
- HS837: Adults 2
- HS838: Adults 3
- HS839: Adults 4
- HS859: Research Activity
We would like to appoint an External Examiner who can enhance the quality of teaching and learning within the School and within the SLT Division. Applicants will have appropriate educational and professional experience. Previous External Examiner experience is welcomed, or experience in delivery or design of health or social care professions’ education or curricula.
The appointment will be for four years from a start date as soon as possible and the commitment required is as follows:
- To attend two Examination Board per year and support subsequent virtual Exam Boards (two on average).
- To submit the annual External Examiner’s Report and comment on the content of the subject area particularly regarding subject benchmarks.
- To review coursework throughout the year and provide comments to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other HEIs
- Provide informative comment and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the course/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations
- Engage with the programme team in the continuous development of the programmes
Informal enquiries are welcomed – please contact:
María Miranda Rivera
MSc Programme Lead
Applications should be accompanied by a C.V. to email@example.com
Further information is available on our website: https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/health-and-social-care