The School of Health & Social Care at the University of Essex is seeking to appoint an external examiner for our MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-reg) programme.
This MSc Occupational Therapy two-year accelerated pre-registration programme is well-established here at the University of Essex and has recently been re-accredited by both RCOT and the HCPC in 2022. We have strong links with our practice partners in Essex and surrounding counties and also work well across programmes such as SLT, Nursing and Physio to ensure that our teaching is diverse and relevant to practice. Improvements we have made since our reapproval include ensuring that students have the opportunity to participate in primary data research and prepare work for publication in their second year when they complete their dissertation. We try to include a broad range of experience for the students, collaborating with service users, clinicians and researchers in delivering our programmes. More information about this specific programme at Essex can be found in our handbook (please email for this additional information) and on this page https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/pg00697/1/msc-occupational-therapy-pre-registration.
MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-reg) programme:
- Foundations for Occupational Therapy HS892
- Using Evidence in Healthcare Practice HS858
- Interprofessional collaboration and development HS810
- Occupational Performance and Process HS893
- Advancing Professional Practice in Occupational Therapy HS894
- Research Activity HS859
- Mastering occupation HS895
- The Thinking Therapist HS896
- Practice placement: EXPLORE (part of HS892)
- Practice placement: INITIATE HS897
- Practice placement: LEAD HS898
- Practice placement: MANAGE HS899
We would like to appoint an External Examiner who can enhance the quality of teaching and learning within the School and who is experienced in delivering health or social care education or designing health or social care professions’ curricula. Whilst applications from experienced External Examiners are preferred, anyone with appropriate educational and professional experience would be considered.
The appointment will be for four years from January 2024 and the commitment required is as follows:
- To attend one examination Board per year and participate in virtual examination boards as required.
- To submit the annual External Examiner’s Report and comment on the content of the subject area particularly regarding subject benchmarks.
- To review coursework throughout the year and provide comments to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other HEIs
- Provide informative comment and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the course/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations
- Engage with the programme team in the continuous development of the programmes
For informal inquires please contact the programme lead Dr Simone Coetzee firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be accompanied by a C.V. to email@example.com by Friday 24 November 2023.
Further information is available on our website: https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/health-and-social-care