The School of Nursing and Midwifery at the University of Birmingham continues to grow its reputation for excellent teaching, in 2022 we were ranked joint 7th for Nursing in the UK in the QS World University Subject Rankings. We have recently gained NMC approval, without conditions, to provide an MSc Midwifery (shortened programme) and an MSc Midwifery Degree Apprenticeship (shortened programme)
We are seeking to appoint an External Examiner for both our MSc Midwifery (shortened programme) and the MSc Midwifery Degree Apprenticeship (shortened programme). The term of office will be for four years commencing September 2022, applications are welcomed from academic staff who hold current NMC registration as a midwife, a Master’s Degree and who have completed a post graduate certificate in higher education (or equivalent). Ideally, applicants will have experience of teaching on shortened midwifery programmes and will possess a NIPE qualification. New external examiners will be considered providing the applicant has the relevant professional qualifications and experience.
The role of the external examiner is to assure the academic standards set for, and achieved, by students and to assure the University that the assessment processes are sound and fairly operated by:
- Providing impartial and independent advice and informed comment on academic standards and student achievement in relation to these standards
- Scrutinising the marking and moderation procedures, to ensure high academic standards, which are comparable with other pre-registration programmes
- Moderating the assessment process through reviewing assessed work and marks awarded by internal examiners
- Meeting with students and staff which will be arranged to coincide with examination boards but might also include visits at other times of the year to observe OSCE examinations or presentations
- Reviewing the form and content of draft examination papers and coursework assessments
- Attending Board of Examiners meetings and scrutinising and endorsing outcomes. We usually hold three examination board per year (July, September, November) with the main progress and award board occurring in September
- Contributing to the enhancement of the student learning experience
- Providing an annual written report to the University on the above
- Information about Programme details will be provided to you on appointment, with further support available from the Programme Director and module Leads.
Further information on external examiners (taught programmes) at the University of Birmingham can be found here: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/leadership/governance/quality/examiners/index.aspx
If you would like to be considered please submit your CV by email to Teresa Shalofsky: email@example.com Lead Midwife for Education, by 17 06 2022.