University College Birmingham require an External Examiner specialising in assistant practitioner programmes for the FdSc Assistant Practitioner in Healthcare and FdSc Assistant Practitioner in Healthcare – Apprenticeship Route, the later of which commenced recently, this contract is for four years.
The successful candidate will need to be a higher education academic with experience in course design and delivery at a minimum of undergraduate level 5, be of senior lecturer position or higher at a UK University or College. Candidates must be an assistant practitioner in healthcare Lecturer registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and have experience of working to the 2018 NMC Standards Framework for Nursing and Midwifery Education. It is desirable that candidates have previous External Examiner experience, however we will provide a mentor to those candidates who are first time External Examiners. Examination Boards are held twice a year at the end of September/October and February/March, dates will be confirmed upon appointment. Our standard fee for External Examiners is £400 per programme per academic year upon submission of an annual programme report, in addition to travel and subsistence fees incurred whilst on UCB business.
- Review draft assessment briefs and examination papers at the beginning of each academic year and comment on the appropriateness, clarity and rigour of assessment design for theory and practice assessments including simulation and OSCEs.
- Review the admissions process including Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and student progression.
- Attend twice a year for student meetings, academic staff meetings, meetings with practice partners including visits to practice, examination boards and viewing student work.
- Provide judgement and recommendations on subject content and whether assessment practice measures student achievement against learning outcomes in the context of the relevant regulations, NMC Standards and Subject Benchmarks and sector norms.
- Submit an annual report to help ensure academic standards and student achievement are comparable with other UK Higher Education Institutions of which the Examiner has experience.
- Provide guidance and expertise to the programme team as required.
Please email any questions or expressions of interest, photocopy of the evidence of your right to work in the UK together with a CV which demonstrates your suitability for the role highlighting your current teaching responsibilities and previous external examiner positions to HE-Quality@ucb.ac.uk by the deadline of Monday 3rd July 2023.
Assessment & External Examination Officer
University College Birmingham