External examiner/ external assessor needed for BSc Diagnostic Radiography – apprenticeship, assistant practitioner progression programme (‘top up’).
The University of Derby is seeking an External Examiner specialising in Diagnostic Imaging, commencing January 2024, the period of tenure is for four years. As External assessor (Independent assessor) you would also be reviewing the work produced by the apprentices for the EPA; the first output for this is expected in around May 2025.
This is an online programme which is an integrated degree apprenticeship. This is a new programme and seeks to enable assistant practitioners with a FdSc to degree level and therefore apply for practitioner status.
Principle duties will be to:
- Review and verify draft assignment briefs and examination papers at the beginning of each academic year and to provide feedback on the design, appropriateness, clarity and rigour of assessment design.
- Moderate the standard of work submitted for assessment by students from a representative sample of coursework and examination scripts.
- Attend virtually up to three times per year for examination boards and viewing student work.
- Provide judgement and recommendations on subject content and whether assessment practice measures student achievement against learning outcomes in the context of the relevant regulations, Subject Benchmarks and sector norms.
- Submit an annual report to help ensure academic standards and student achievement are comparable with other UK Higher Education Institutions of which the Examiner has experience.
- Provide guidance and expertise to the programme team as required.
Suitable candidates will:
- Be a higher education academic with experience in course design and delivery at a minimum of level 6, be of lecturer position or higher at a UK University or College.
- Have a good understanding of quality assurance requirements in HE.
- Have subject specific knowledge relating to the programme.
- Have registration with a professional body such as the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) or equivalent recognised professional body and have experience of apprenticeships and online learning.
- Be resident and have the right to work in the UK.
It is desirable that candidates have previous External Examiner experience, however a mentor will be provided to those candidates who are first time External Examiners. As External Assessor you will operate in line with current External Quality Assurance of End-Point Assessment for Integrated Higher and Degree Apprenticeships guidance (https://dqbengland.org.uk/apprenticeships/).
You will be involved in activities listed in section 16 of the EQA External Assessors guidance. Applicants should be independent of apprentices and the employing organisation. Applications should demonstrate experience and qualities as per Appendix 1 person specification of the guidance.
Assessment Boards are held at the end of each trimester (usually January, June and September). Our agreed fee for External Examiners is paid per academic year upon submission of an annual report, in addition to any fees incurred whilst on UoD business.
Please send expressions of interest and an accompanying CV to examiner positions to contact: Julie de Witt, Programme Leader
Please note that all appointments are subject to verification of eligibility to work in the UK, as per UK Visas and Immigration (https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work) requirements