University College Birmingham require an External Examiner for the End-Point Assessment (EPA) for the following programmes:
- FdSc Nursing Associate (Higher Apprenticeship) – completing October 2023
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult) – Apprenticeship Route – completing August 2024
The successful candidate will need to be from an officially recognised end point assessment organisation (EPAO) to appreciate and understand this type of programme, be experienced in delivery at a minimum of undergraduate level 6 and be of senior lecturer position or higher at a UK University of College. Due to the non-availability of EPA mentors it is desirable that the candidate has had previous EPA External Examiner experience.
This appointment is in response to the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (IFATE) amendment to the end point assessment for the NMC regulated courses. They have moved from a non-integrated to integrated EPA:
- Nursing Associate Apprenticeship (HEE and NMC 2018 Curriculums)
- Registered Nurse Degree Apprenticeship (NMC 2018)
The EPA now consists of the UCB Awards Board and following this, putting forward eligible apprentices to the NMC.
The NMC approved HEI now becomes the EPAO (following registration with the ESFA for the relevant standard).
There must be independence of the end-point assessment which is assured through the award board and includes the EPA External Examiner for this phase.
UCB Exam Boards are held twice a year and dates will be confirmed when the appointment is in place.
- Carrying out the EPA as set out in the Assessment Plan for the Apprenticeship Standard, including:
- Review and confirm all evidence for the EPA is in place;
- Confirm the independence and impartiality of the process;
- Confirm the maintenance of nationally comparable standards across AEIs;
- Attend Assessment Boards
- Provide detailed and appropriate feedback to support the EPA processes;
- Contribute to external quality assurance activity/audit;
- Hold discussions with academic and administrative teams and students;
- Submit a formal report as required
The role requires:
Knowledge and understanding of the standard and assessment plan;
Knowledge and understanding of UK sector agreed reference points for the maintenance of academic standards and assurance and enhancement of quality;
Nurse Registration with the NMC;
Familiarity with the EPA performance expected of apprentices to achieve the award being assessed.
Comply to the requirements of the EPAO
Knowledge to undertake EPA activities with integrity and impartiality to offer a fair, reliable and consistent assessment experience for all apprentices.
Be independent of the apprentice, the EPAO or employing organisation who are involved in delivering the apprenticeship
Please email any questions or expressions of interest, photocopy of the evidence of your right to work in the UK together with a CV which demonstrates your suitability for the role highlighting your current teaching responsibilities and previous external examiner positions to HE-Quality@ucb.ac.uk by the deadline of Monday 3rd July 2023.
Assessment & External Examinations Officer
University College Birmingham