The Leicester School of Nursing and Midwifery, within the Faculty of Health Sciences at De Montfort University (DMU), Leicester, is seeking to appoint an End Point Assessment (EPA) External Examiner for our FdSc Nursing Associate (Apprenticeship) programme.
The duration of an External Examiner’s appointment will normally be for four years, with the possibility of an additional extension of one year to ensure continuity. All appointments are subject to the candidate meeting the University’s criteria for appointment.
Carrying out the EPA as set out in the Assessment Plan for the Apprenticeship Standard, including:
- Review and confirm all evidence for the EPA is in place;
- Confirm the independence and impartiality of the process;
- Confirm the maintenance of nationally comparable standards across AEIs;
- Attend the EPA Assessment Board associated with the FdSc Nursing Associate Nursing Associate (apprenticeship) programme;
- Signing off an Assessment Board matrix according to DMU Academic Regulations;
- Provide detailed and appropriate feedback to support the EPA processes;
- Contribute to external quality assurance activity/audit;
- Hold discussions with academic and administrative teams and students;
- Submit a formal report as required by DMU.
The role requires:
- Knowledge and understanding of the standard and assessment plan;
- Knowledge and understanding of UK sector agreed reference points for the maintenance of academic standards and assurance and enhancement of quality;
- Level 1 Nurse Registration with the NMC;
- Familiarity with the EPA performance expected of apprentices to achieve the award being assessed;
- Comply to the requirements of the EPAO (NMC AEI);
- Knowledge to undertake EPA activities with integrity and impartiality to offer a fair, reliable and consistent assessment experience for all apprentices;
- Be independent of the apprentice, the EPAO (NMC AEI) or employing organisation who are involved in delivering the apprenticeship.
In addition, all External Examiners at DMU are required to demonstrate they:
- Have relevant academic and/or professional qualifications to at least the level of the qualification being externally examined.
- Candidates will have experience in teaching and examining at a UK HE institution, have a good understanding of quality assurance, and have specific subject knowledge in relation to the educational preparation of future Nurse Associates. Previous experience as an External Examiner is preferred.
The appointment will be from January 2022. Further details about the programme can be found at: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/nursing-associate-programme/nursing-associate-programme.aspx
How to apply
Interested individuals should send their expressions of interest together with a full Curriculum Vitae including your NMC registration number, name as it appears on the professional register, details of teaching and external examining experience, along with any other relevant information to:
Amanda Whateley, Co-Programme Lead and Senior Lecturer
Tel: 0116 366 4459