Purpose of this Role
- Provide Pearson education centre and tutors with advice on programme and assessment design and delivery.
- Contribute to quality enhancement of the delivery through external examiner sampling and visit activities
- Ensure centres’ compliance with Pearson quality assurance expectations for RQF BTEC Higher National programmes
- Affirm national standards have been achieved and upheld
- Support centres in the delivery and assessment of BTEC Higher National programmes to national standards.
Covering a defined range of programmes, the External Examiner (EE) will:
- Undertake sampling of assessed student work to establish outcomes are in accordance with Pearson, and professional standards for Higher National qualifications
- Provide sampling-related reports, feedback and development advice to centres and Pearson
- Produce quality assurance reports for centres and Pearson on the sampling undertaken, outcomes reached, and support provided
- Apply appropriate sanctions, in consultation with the team, where necessary to assure quality of learning, teaching, assessment and professionalism
- Work with centres to develop and implement action plans where standards are not being upheld
- Facilitate sourcing materials for training and standardisation events
- Participate annually in online training and standardisation activities
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the role of External Examiner
- Experience in healthcare education and where indicated on the role description, statutory registration
- Familiarity with relevant professional standards, frameworks and healthcare policies and guidance.
- Previous external examining experience for RQF/FHEQ levels 4/5
- Evidence of recent, relevant continuing professional development (CPD) in the sector that demonstrates broad sector currency
- Experience in delivering and assessing BTEC Higher National qualifications in the subject areas
- A willingness to use technology-based approaches to communication and centre support
- Membership of a relevant professional body
- International education experience related to the healthcare sector
Skills and Knowledge
- Hold a recognised qualification at or equivalent to FEHQ Level 6 and a recognised health care qualification and relevant competence qualification for working in the sector
- A student and customer-focused approach
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work within the scope of service level agreements
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using technology to communicate with a variety of individuals and teams
- A good working knowledge of the specifications relevant to the sector
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Knowledge of BTEC Higher National delivery and assessment
- Using systems approaches to quality enhancement
- Word processing, presentation (in-person and virtual) and intermediate Excel skills
We value the power of inclusive culture and embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm. Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the centre of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
Welcome to Pearson, the world’s leading learning company. We provide content, assessment and digital services to learners, educational institutions, employers, governments and other partners globally.
We are the UK’s largest awarding body and offer qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in a range of General and Vocational courses.
For more information and to apply see https://home.edexcelgateway.com/pages/job_search_view.aspx?jobId=3998