The School of Health & Social Care at the University of Essex is seeking to appoint an external examiner for our BSc Speech and Language Therapy programme. We are seeking to fill this post in-year and so looking for a candidate to begin this role as soon as possible.
The programme is a three year pre-registration course and sits alongside our well-established MSc Speech and Language Therapy course. The course is structured largely around foundational topics in year one (not assessed externally), investigation and assessment skills and topics in year two, and assessment and management skills and topics in year three.
Over the term of this External Examinership SLT Apprentices will sit examined modules – Essex is one of the first Universities to enrol SLT Apprentices and the first to receive HCPC and RCSLT approval for an SLT Apprenticeship pathway.
The modules which require External Examiner input are below:
BSc Speech and Language Therapy:
- HS231: Identification of Developmental Communication Abilities and Difficulties
- HS232: Identification of Acquired Communication Abilities and Difficulties
- HS233: Dysphagia
- HS234: Practice Placement 2
- HS240: Professional Enquiry
- HS331: Enhancing Communication for People with Developmental & Acquired Communication Difficulties
- HS332: Practice Placement 3
- HS340: Professional Enquiry Proposal
We would like to appoint an External Examiner who can enhance the quality of teaching and learning within the School and within the SLT Division. Applicants will have appropriate educational and professional experience. Previous External Examiner experience is welcomed, or experience in delivery or design of health or social care professions’ education or curricula.
The appointment will be for four years from a start date as soon as possible and the commitment required is as follows:
- To attend two Examination Boards per year.
- To submit the annual External Examiner’s Report and comment on the content of the subject area particularly regarding subject benchmarks.
- To review coursework throughout the year and provide comments to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other HEIs.
- Provide informative comment and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the course/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations.
- Engage with the programme team in the continuous development of the programmes
Informal enquiries are welcomed – please contact:
BSc Programme Lead
Applications should be accompanied by a C.V. to Emma Hales
Further information is available on our website: https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/health-and-social-care