The University of Bolton is a “Teaching Intensive, Research Informed” higher education institution whose distinctive high quality, student-focussed, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes attract students from all over the world. Our staff are at the heart of everything we do: they are highly qualified and experienced in their fields, supporting their teaching practice by carrying out quality research and engaging in continuous professional development. Staff pride themselves on being outstanding professionals that provide excellent learning, teaching and applied research and support in the provision of custom designed, industry led courses in numerous subject areas.
School of Nursing and Midwifery at The University of Bolton is seeking to appoint a suitably qualified External Examiner for the End Point Assessment (EPA) aspects for the BSc Operating Department Practice (Higher Apprenticeship) Degree: Apprenticeship End Point Assessment. As external examiner responsibilities include:
- Review and confirm the management of gateway requirements in line with the apprenticeship standard assessment plan,
- Review and confirm all evidence for the EPA is in place,
- Review and confirm that the mandatory qualification requirements and involvement of the employer in deciding the apprentice is ready for the EPA.
- Confirm the independence and impartiality of the process,
- Confirm the maintenance of nationally comparable standards across AEIs,
- Attend Assessment Boards associated with the BSc Operating Department Practice (Higher apprenticeship) programme,
- Provide detailed and appropriate feedback to support the EPA processes,
- Contribute to external quality assurance activity/audit,
- Hold discussions with academic and administrative teams and students,
- Complete and submit an Annual External Examiners Report.
The role requires:
- Knowledge and understanding of the standard and assessment plan,
- Knowledge and understanding of UK sector agreed reference points for the maintenance of academic standards and assurance and enhancement of quality,
- Familiarity with the EPA performance expected of apprentices to achieve the award being assessed,
- Comply to the requirements of the EPAO (HCPC AEI),
- Knowledge to undertake EPA activities with integrity and impartiality to offer a fair, reliable and consistent assessment experience for all apprentices,
- Be independent of the apprentice, the EPAO (HCPC AEI) or employing organisation who are involved in delivering the apprenticeship,
- Have relevant academic and/or professional qualifications to at least the level of the qualification being externally examined,
- Have extensive experience in teaching and examining at a UK HE institution, have excellent understanding of quality assurance, and have specific subject knowledge in relation to the educational preparation of Operating department practitioners. Previous experience as an External Examiner is preferred.
External examiner appointments are typical for a period of four years and the appointment is for a start as soon as possible following approval of the appointment. Applicants with relevant experience and knowledge of Operating Department Practice apprenticeship education and current registration with the HCPC is essential.
To apply for this post please email a copy of your CV or for further information contact Dr Trish Houghton at T.A.Houghton@bolton.ac.uk