We are seeking to appoint a Course External Examiner for the BSc (Hons) Nursing, MSci Nursing and Registered Nursing Degree Apprenticeship courses within the School of Nursing and Midwifery. The position requires that the external examiner has experience in teaching and assessing in Mental Health Nursing. The post will sit across field specific and integrated modules across the Future Nurse curriculum
The appointment will commence 1st February 2023, and the tenure of appointment is usually for a period of four years. Please note we cannot accept applications if you have already been an External Examiner for our University in the last 5 years, or if one of our staff is already an Examiner in the same department at your home institution.
- Comment on the content of the subject area particularly regarding subject benchmarks
- Examine assessment briefs, exam papers and student work to ensure academic standards and achievements of students are comparable with those in other UK higher education establishments of which the external examiner has experience
- Provide informative comment and recommendations on whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended outcomes of the course/s and is conducted in line with the relevant policies and regulations
- Participate in a minimum of one examination board per year and submit an annual report
- Engage in communication with the course team
Please note that external examiners are required to engage with assessment of both theory and practice elements of the course where relevant. Previous experience as an External Examiner is not necessary as the University is able to provide mentorship to the successful applicants.
If you would like to be considered for this role, please send your CV to Helen Davis-Miles (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Kal Alnababtah (email@example.com) (deputy course leads) to express your initial interest and/or to obtain further information about the role. If your CV matches our criteria, we will ask you to make a formal application for formal consideration through our governance systems. This can take a few weeks, so you may not hear back immediately.
Our standard fees for External Examiners start at £500 per academic year, rising to £700 for larger courses with multiple occurrences, or overseas provision for example.
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points-based system.
Closing date for expressions of interest is Monday 23rd January 2023.