The University of Derby is seeking an External Examiner for the Online preregistration BSc (Hons) Nursing programme commencing September 2024. This is a new programme with students from each of the four fields of Nursing and who will be predominantly Apprentices. The period of tenure is for four years.
Principle duties will be to:
- Review and verify assessment briefs and examination papers at the beginning of each academic year and to provide feedback on the design, appropriateness, clarity and rigour of assessment including theory and practice (MYEPAD practice document).
- Moderate the standard of work submitted for assessment by students from a representative sample of coursework and examination scripts.
- Attend assessment boards as a minimum with optional attendance at programme committee meetings, onsite skills week and yearly PPG (practice placement group).
- Provide judgement and recommendations on subject content and whether assessment practice measures student achievement against learning outcomes in the context of the relevant regulations, (NMC Standards), Subject Benchmarks and sector norms.
- Submit an annual report to help ensure academic standards and student achievement are comparable with other UK Higher Education Institutions of which the Examiner has experience.
- Provide guidance and expertise to the programme team as required.
Suitable candidates will:
- Be a higher education academic with experience in course design and delivery at a minimum of undergraduate level, be of senior lecturer position or higher at a UK University or College.
- Have a good understanding of quality assurance requirements in HE.
- Have subject specific knowledge relating to the programme. Ideally this would include experience of Online delivery and/or apprenticeship requirements.
- Hold registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and have experience of 2018 NMC Standards for Education and Training.
- Be resident and have the right to work in the UK.
It is desirable that candidates have previous External Examiner experience, however a mentor will be provided to those candidates who are first time External Examiners. Assessment Boards are held three times a year. Our agreed fee for External Examiners is paid per academic year upon submission of an annual report, in addition to any fees incurred whilst on UoD business.
Please send expressions of interest and an accompanying CV to demonstrate your suitability for the role, highlighting your current teaching responsibilities and previous external examiner positions to h.clarke2derby.ac.uk by the closing date of Friday 5th January 2024.
Please note that all appointments are subject to verification of eligibility to work in the UK, as per UK Visas and Immigration (https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work) requirements. If possible, please provide scanned copies of evidence of your right to work in the UK.