The College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare is seeking to appoint an on course external examiner for the BMidwifery (Hons) 3 year course approved against the NMC 2019 Standards for pre-registration midwifery programmes, and includes a Midwife Degree Apprentice pathway.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced lecturers in midwifery. Registration with a relevant professional body is essential. All appointments are subject to the candidate meeting the University’s criteria for appointment. The post would start in September 2022. Tenure will normally be for a period of four years.
There are intakes across the two campuses (Brentford and Reading). The assessment boards are all held on our Brentford campus (currently conducted online) and you will be joining a team of external examiners.
As an External Examiner you will be expected to:
- Be employed in Higher Education
- Scrutinize samples of examination/essay scripts and other assessed materials, advising module assessment boards on the content and standard of assessments
- Attend a minimum of 2 assessment boards a year (currently online)
- Undertake an annual visit to practice, to meet with students, supervisors, and assessors
- Review new modules in preparation for validation events
- Advise on academic misconduct and appeal cases
- Submit an annual report to the University Quality Boards
If you have not been an external examiner before, a mentor would be appointed for you. You would be part of a team of external examiners for the Pre-registration midwifery, nursing and healthcare courses here at the University. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. If you are interested in the above post please send your expressions of interest, together with a full CV, by 12 June 2022 in the first instance to:
Lead Midwife for Education
College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare
University of West London
0208 209 4081