We are seeking to appoint an End Point Assessment (EPA) External Examiner for the Nursing Associate Apprenticeship (NMC 2018) Registered Nurse Degree Apprenticeship (NMC 2018).
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education have amended the EPA for NMC regulated apprenticeship programmes to move from non-integrated to integrated, which allows NMC Approved Education Institutions (AEI) to conduct the EPAs as part of the award assessment board (AAB) process. The EPA starts with AAB and finishes when the AEI uploads eligible apprentice to the NMC database.
There must be independence of the EPA and this is ensured by the EPA External Examiner being separate from the Subject and Award External Examiners, who review ‘on programme’ activity.
- Carrying out the EPA as set out in the Assessment Plan for the Apprenticeship Standard, including:
- To review and confirm all evidence for the EPA is in place;
- To confirm the independence and impartiality of the process;
- To confirm the maintenance of nationally comparable standards across HE institutions;
- To attend Award Boards associated with the programmes;
- Provide detailed and appropriate feedback to support the EPA processes;
- Contribute to external quality assurance processes;
- Maintain active registration on the NMC register as a nurse
The appointment will normally be for a period of 4 years and will be with effect from the 16th August 2021. Initial availability will be required in end August/early September 2021.
The candidate will be nominated by the Apprenticeship Lead within the School of Nursing and Midwifery based on their suitability, knowledge and experience. The nomination will be formally reviewed for approval by the University’s External Examiner Sub-Committee, acting on behalf of the University Teaching, learning and Quality Committee, subject to meeting the University’s appointment criteria and Home Office Right to Work checks.
The role requires:
- Knowledge and understanding of the standard and assessment plan.
- Knowledge and understanding of UK sector agreed reference points for the maintenance of academic standards and assurance and enhancement of quality.
- Familiarity with the EPA performance expected of apprentices to achieve the award being assessed.
- Compliance with the requirements of the EPAO (NMC Approved Education Institution).
- Knowledge to undertake EPA activities with integrity and impartiality to offer a fair, reliable and consistent assessment experience for all apprentices.
- Independence of the apprentice, the EPAO (NMC Approved Education Institution) or employing organisation who are involved in delivering the apprenticeship.
- Active registration on the NMC register as a Nurse.
In addition, all External Examiners at the University of Plymouth are required to demonstrate:
- Achievement of relevant academic or professional qualifications in an appropriate subject and at a level appropriate for the programme of study to be examined.
- an appropriate academic and/or professional standing to command the respect of colleagues and to maintain the comparability of academic standards in the context of higher education.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please submit an up to date CV to Kahila Smith, email@example.com.