Who can apply for the Student Leadership Programme, and who is it for?
The programme is for individuals who aspire to lead and make a difference and who are currently enrolled in the first or second year of their pre-registration undergraduate studies or are a first-year pre-registration postgraduate student in nursing, midwifery or one of the allied health professions. We encourage applications from all four UK nations and all backgrounds.
How will I know if my application has been successful?
Applicants for the 2023 programme have been informed of the outcome of their application by email, whether or not they were successful. We had hundreds of applications to assess and consider carefully to ensure we selected the right students for the programme. We contacted all potential candidates in July 2023.
How will I learn?
The programme provides a combination of supported individual learning as well as team work and collaborative projects. It challenges students to demonstrate various leadership skills and encourages them to test their ability to embody a leadership role and act accordingly, with experienced leaders providing them with constructive feedback. Sharing with and learning from each other features strongly across the whole programme as does networking and innovative activities from drama techniques to drawing. Reflective practice forms a strong part of the programme.
What difference will the programme make?
By participating in the programme students will:
- Acquire the tools and skills necessary to help them achieve their ambitions as leaders
- Better understand their strengths and how to build on them
- Gain confidence in their skills and increase their self-awareness
- Understand the variety of possible leadership styles and establish their own
- Build strong networks and relationships across the sector
How much does it cost to attend?
With the support of the Burdett Trust for Nursing, places for successful applicants are fully subsidised and there is no charge for students selected to participate in the programme.
What’s included in the programme?
- Travel costs to and from event venues, accommodation (where required) and meals during events
- The events programme including guest speakers from healthcare and higher education senior leadership roles, interactive sessions and networking
- All programme materials and resources
- Access to the online community of practice and dedicated social media interaction