The School of Health and Life Sciences is seeking to appoint a Subject external examiner to a range of modules within our post-registration undergraduate and post-registration postgraduate suite of programmes. The remit involves assessment of theory modules relating to:
Graduate Certification in Personality Disorder:
- Theory of Personality Disorder
- Risk Assessment and Management Approaches
- Interventions and Strategies
MSc Forensic Mental Health:
- Mental Disorder and the Law
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Forensic Risk Assessment and Risk Management
- Managing Mental Health through the Criminal Justice System
- Forensic Treatments and Interventions
- Problem Behaviours
- Further details about the modules is available at University of the West of Scotland Module Descriptors (https://psmd.uws.ac.uk/), noting that the details available are for 2020-21 and will be updated to 2021-22 in mid-July.
External examiner responsibilities include moderation of assessments (and completion of moderation form), completion of an annual report and moderation and approval of results ahead of School Module Confirmation Events (MCE) where student marks are ratified. A schedule of MCEs per academic session will be made available, and currently these are taking place online via MS Teams. The School uses an electronic marking system associated with the originality checking programme Turnitin, called Grademark. External examiners are required to make use of the system during the external moderation process (this being accessible through a Virtual Learning Environment, at UWS – AULA and Moodle/MyUWS are used).
Experienced and new external examiners will be considered provided the applicant has the relevant professional qualification(s) and experience. Relevant professional experience in the fields detailed above and a valid teaching qualification are essential requirements for this post.
The appointment will be with effect from September 2021 to August 2025.
Full details of the programmes and modules will be provided to appointees and an online induction will be provided by the University following appointment. Further information about UWS policy for external examiners is available at:
For informal discussion, please contact:
- Programme Leader: Yvonne Murray, email@example.com