The University of Sunderland is seeking to appoint one external examiner for our Registered Nurse Degree Apprenticeship – Adult Nursing pre-registration provision, to start from 1st July 2023
The appointment will cover the following programmes (and a range of the modules comprising them):
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing Apprenticeship for Local Delivery & SPIRE programmes
More information about our courses is available https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/higher-and-degree-apprenticeships/registered-nurse-degree-apprenticeship/
Experience and qualifications needed
- An NMC accredited degree in Adult Nursing
- NMC registration in Adult Nursing
- Extensive experience in teaching, assessment and academic leadership on Adult Nursing pre-registration (PSRB accredited) programmes, including design of programmes and/or modules and design of assessment
- Knowledge of relevant UK-sector external reference points for academic standards and quality assurance and enhancement: QAA Quality Code, FHEQ, NICATS level descriptors including the relevant Adult Nursing Subject Benchmark and NMC accreditation standards
- Awareness of relevant current developments in Adult Nursing relevant to programme and module design and learning, teaching and assessment
- Experience of external examining
Responsibilities of the role
The appointment will be for four academic years. Duties include:
- Assuring the standards of our awards in comparison to the sector and relevant external reference points.
- Assuring the quality of the assessment process. This includes moderation of assessment briefs, moderation of marked work (including feedback to the module leader prior to the Assessment Board) and attendance at the annual programme assessment board.
- Providing comment on course content, balance and structure and on modes of teaching, learning and assessment, to support ongoing development of the curriculum. External examiners are asked to review curriculum modifications to modules and programmes at FHEQ Level 5 and above.
- Ensuring equivalency of awards for collaborative provision.
- External examiners are also required to provide an annual report following the Programme Assessment Board.
For full details on the External Examiner role at University of Sunderland (including core roles and information on conflicts of interest) please see https://services.sunderland.ac.uk/academicregistry/externalexaminers/. Note that you will be required to attend an external examiner induction event.
To apply for this post please supply:
- A statement of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria
- Your CV
Please send these by email to Catherine Lee-Cowan Associate Head of School Registered Nurse Degree Apprenticeships at Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Monday 10th July 2023.
You will receive an acknowledgement of your email and can expect an initial decision on whether you have been nominated by the School of Health Sciences and Wellbeing by Monday 17th July 2023. However, please note that appointment is subject to approval by the University’s Academic Development and Quality Sub-Committee and we will require further details from you to submit the nomination.
Right to work in the UK
Please note that a statutory check for right to work in the UK will be carried out prior to appointment.